The Museum opened to the public in 2008, and has since grown to have two permanent exhibitions, temporary exhibitions, a research department, several education programmes, an extensive collection of artifacts, numerous cultural events, and about 5000 visitors per year.

The exhibition “The Jewish Year” displays the main Jewish holidays in an interactive way, incorporating games, videos, literature and food.

“Remember us unto life – Jews in Norway 1940-1945” is the Museum’s Holocaust exhibition. Through individuals’ stories, belongings and photographs, the exhibition shows the lives and fates of some of those murdered, some who escaped, and some who helped supply cover and flight.

Address

Oslo Jewish Museum
Calmeyers gate 15b
0183 Oslo
Norway
The Oslo Jewish Museum was founded in 2004, and soon found its permanent home in the former synagogue in Calmeyer Street. The building was constructed as synagogue in 1921, and was in use until 1942, when the deportation of Jews from Norway took place. For the second half of the 20th century, it was used for other purposes. Since January 2005, the Oslo Jewish Museum has rented gradually larger parts of the building and refurbished them. It has been essential for the Museum to preserve traces of the old synagogue which was such a focus for pre-war Oslo’s Jews. The Museum had its official opening in 2008.
Photo from the permanent exhibition "The Jewish Year".
The Museum’s collections consist of documentation and artifacts which were either donated to the museum or collected by its staff. As of late 2014 close to 2000 artifacts – consisting of about 670 units or museum numbers – are documented, registered and placed in the stacks. All are digitized. The Oslo Jewish Museum is the holder of the correspondence of The Mosaic Congregation and the private archives of several Jewish organizations and individuals. The material is partly organized and cataloged.

From the collection

Ketubah, marriage contract for the first Jewish couple to be married in Norway
Paper, 1887
JMO.G00049