Museum "Jews in Latvia"

The tasks of the museum “Jews in Latvia” are the research and popularization of the history of Jews in Latvia, as well as the collection and preservation of any evidence regarding the community of Latvian Jews from its beginning until the present time. The museum is part of the Latvian Jewish community and one of the few private museums in Latvia accredited by the state.

The exhibition speaks about social, economic, political, intellectual and religious life, the legal status of Jews as well as their participation in various historical events in Latvia. The special part is devoted to the tragic events of the Holocaust on Latvian territory.

Address

Museum "Jews in Latvia"
6 Skolas str.
Riga
Latvia

Get in touch

+371 67283484
www.jewishmueum.lv
info@jewishmuseum.lv
The museum was founded by a group of Holocaust survivors, under the leadership of the historian Margers Vestermanis in 1989. In the beginning the museum acted as a centre of documentation, but in 1996 the first small, permanent exhibition was organized. Currently, the museum is located in three halls, showcasing the history of Latvian Jews from the XVI century until 1945. The museum is located in the building of the Riga Jewish community. It was built in the 1913-1914 by the architects Edmunds Trompovskis and Pauls Mendelstams. Here in 1926 a Jewish theatre started its performances. Various public organizations were also located in this building. Jewish celebrations were often organized here – weddings, lectures, shows and meetings. During the years 1941-1944, the Nazi occupation of Latvia, a German officers' club was located here. During Soviet times the building served as a place of political education: various ideological events, as well as congresses of the Communist party were held there. The building was given back to the Jewish community in the early 1990s. Currently the building is a state-protected architectural monument.
The collection of the museum “Jews in Latvia” is the foundation on which the museum bases its organization of exhibitions and research. Currently the museum has around 14,000 items. Of these items, more than 5,000 make up the main stock, which is included in Latvian National collection of museums. The collection consists of documents, photos, books and objects. A collection of memoirs from the XIX-XX centuries, a plentiful collection of family photos and materials of various Jewish organizations in the interwar period are to be noted separately.

From the collection

Uniform cap of Jewish student fraternity "Vetulia" (Riga, Latvia)
1902-1904
felt, velvet, leather
L (IV) 442
Donated by Roger Adelmann (London, UK), who is the greatgrandson of the owner, Bernhard Friedmann