Spitzenhaus Rosa Klauber
An Exhibition in the Study Area at the Jewish Museum Munich
The “Spitzenhaus Rosa Klauber” lace shop at Theatinerstrasse 35, as “Purveyors to the Royal Court of Bavaria,” was one of the best addresses for interior fittings and lingerie in Munich. Its founder, Rosa Klauber (1820–1901), came to Munich as a market trader from Bohemia in the middle of the 19th century. She rose successfully in Munich society from her beginnings on “Jews’ Row” at the “Auer Dult” market. In the 1920s, her grandsons opened a branch on Marienplatz as well as a state-of-the-art lingerie factory on Dachauer Strasse. Between 1935 and November 1938, Kurt Landauer, the long-standing president of FC Bayern, was also employed there as a clerk. In 1938/39, the grandsons had to abandon Rosa Klauber’s legacy and flee Nazi Germany. They set up a new business in New York. Today, the family produces laces in the sixth generation.
The exhibition in the Study Area examines the history of the lace company and the Klauber family. Through extensive research of source material and through exchange with the descendants, numerous photographs and historical documents came to light. In addition, laces from the current product range in New York can also be seen in the exhibition in Munich for the first time. The scenography designed by Juliette Israël brings a now forgotten shop window back to Munich’s city center.
An exhibition of the Jewish Museum Munich.