Max Frankenburger, son of a teacher of Jewish religious studies from Middle Franconia and an enthusiastic cyclist, co-founded the “Victoria Fahrradwerke” in Nuremberg in 1888, which grew into one of the largest bicycle factories of its kind in Germany.
After its transformation into a stock corporation around 1900, Frankenburger withdrew from the operative business and moved to Munich to devote his attention to his second passion—researching goldsmithery.
In addition to numerous other publications, his book “Die Alt-Münchner Goldschmiede und ihre Kunst” (Old Munich Goldsmiths and their Art), published in 1909, is still considered an important standard work to this day. Little is known now of the life and death of its author who was murdered in Theresienstadt concentration camp in 1943.
An exhibition of the Jewish Museum Munich.