1. Head of Collections || Jewish Museum of Belgium
Date: October 2019
Title: Head of Collections
Jewish Museum of Belgium
The Jewish Museum of Belgium, located in the Zavel district in Brussels, offers a refreshing look at Jewish history and culture through exhibitions and activities for young and old. The museum is deeply anchored in the present and cannot only be characterized as a cultural and artistic meeting place, but also as a dynamic and multidisciplinary work environment, led by a motivated team that follows the principle “Openness”. This is of paramount importance and aims to give an impulse to better knowledge and a more correct understanding of Jewish history, religion and culture. Based on the three main assignments, namely: 1) preservation of the Jewish patrimony of Belgium, 2) temporary exhibitions as a reflection of current topics and 3) educational activities intended for students, the team is ready for our new museum that will be launched around 2024.
The Jewish Museum of Belgium is looking for a Head of collections (f/m), capable of contributing to exhibition projects and preserving patrimony.
- Propose and coordinate temporary exhibitions;
- Co-organizing the new permanent exhibition;
- Responsibility for the daily management of the museum collections;
- Responsibility for the valorization of the collections (scientific publications aimed at the general public, tracing of origin);
- Take charge of the acquisition of collections, loans and insurance;
- Coordination of the photo library, the library and the archives;
- Animate and coordinate cultural activities during evenings and weekends.
Qualifications and Experience
- solid knowledge of Jewish history and culture as well as Jewish art;
- proficiency in French, Dutch and English. Knowledge of Hebrew and Yiddish is a plus;
- at least two years of experience in managing a small team;
- proven experience in organizing exhibitions;
- can agree with the values advocated by the Jewish Museum of Belgium, as well as the duties it undertakes;
- able to function well in teamwork;
- able to handle stress well;
- holder of a university degree in History, Art History or Social Sciences;
- have excellent editing and communication skills;
- being able to use computer tools (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.) well and collections management programs (Collective Access).
Send Resume with Cover Letter To:
Stuur uw sollicitatiebrief en uw CV ten laatste vóór 22/10/2019 naar Georgia Markos, Directiesecretaresse van het Joods Museum van België, e-mail-adres: firstname.lastname@example.org De kandidaturen zullen in alle vertrouwelijkheid worden behandeld.
Send your cover letter and CV before 22/10/2019 to Georgia Markos, Executive Secretary of the Jewish Museum of Belgium, e-mail address: email@example.com
The Jewish Museum of Belgium is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to building a culturally diverse staff and encourages applicants of all backgrounds
2. Educational Employee || Jewish Museum of Belgium
The Jewish Museum of Belgium offers an innovative look at Jewish history and culture through exhibitions and activities that are aimed at exchange, introduction and accessibility for all possible target audiences.
Due to its firm anchoring in the present, the Museum is a lively, dynamic and multidisciplinary cultural and artistic location, which is supported by a team that propagates values of openness in a decisive and contemporary manner, with the intention to promote knowledge and understanding of Jewish history, religion and cultures.
The Jewish Museum of Belgium is looking for a dynamic and driven educational co-worker for the “Let’s Meet a Jew” project where different themes revolve around Judaism.
There are interactive workshops for pupils of primary and secondary education focusing on deconstructing clichés and discovering Jewish culture.
The assignment consists of giving workshops (in the Dutch language) for students of the 5th and 6th grade of primary school and for secondary school students.
Duration: November 2019 to May 2020 Smart contract or equivalent, flexibility required.
Preferred language NL / FR, English is a plus
Contact person: firstname.lastname@example.org