For centuries the Great Synagogue in Oświęcim was the center of the Jewish life in our town. Following the occupation of Oświęcim, the Great Synagogue was set ablaze and destroyed by the Germans on the night of November 29, 1939. The site was long an empty lot, with in recent years signage describing the synagogue.
Thanks to the generous support of the town of Oświęcim as well as institutional and private donors from Poland and beyond, we have transformed this space into a Memorial Park to create opportunities for reflection and remembrance for residents of Oświęcim and visitors to the town. The Park will become a place for education about the multicultural past of Oświęcim.
On November 28, 2019 we inaugurated the Great Synagogue Memorial Park and paid tribute to the Jewish community of Oświęcim through a special program with a concert and candlelit ceremony. Oświęcim’s mayor, around 200 local citizens, and some 50 descendants of Oświęcim Jews attended the dedication.